Information Studies Programme (SASS, UKZN, Pmb Campus) in collaboration with the University of Cape Town and the University of Pretoria is involved in the Carnegie Library Leadership Academy (CLLA) which has trained/mentored 60 young library leaders so far. Another 20 will be trained in March and a further 20 in November 2011.
The programme is mostly aimed at designated group and is funded by the Carnegie Corporation of NY with a 3 year grant of $1m (+/- R7m).
It aims to
- establish a self sustaining Library Leadership center at the University of Pretoria
- establish a comprehensive library leadership development plan for library managers and librarians in South Africa
- achieve a high level of measurable improved skills and service delivery among library leaders
- develop a cadre of 120 well-trained library leaders who can lead libraries effectively through the challenging LIS landscape in South Africa
- build a team of library leadership trainers who would be able to continue training after the termination of the grant.
Information Studies (SASS, UKZN, Pmb Campus) is currently in a partnership with the Departments of Education in KZN and Mpumalanga provinces. The aim of the partnership is to contribute to the South African education system by training more than 600 teacher librarians particularly in rural areas of the two provinces.